Energy Medicine and Energy Fields

Energy Medicine: An ambiguous title considering the rigor of TCM and other healing systems.
Photo: upliftconnect.com


Acupuncture as Effective Energy Medicine

In our article in class, E.F. Block IV speaks of a category of medicine he calls "Energy Medicine", in contrast to 'Trauma Medicine" under which he includes Allopathy. In argument for the efficacy of energy medicine, he suggests that the "sum of all the cells" in an "integrated body" create morphogenic fields and energies, and he states that acupuncture is primarily concerned with balancing these energy fields.

I think his article is fair enough, but I think the title of 'energy medicine' is unfortunate and vague. I do not anticipate ever describing what I do under that banner, and I think the author is under-informed, given that the scope and intensity of traditional Chinese medicine rivals that of allopathy.

Obviously, however, TCM and acupuncture does work at the "energetic" levels, which is a likely reason the medicine can be so profound for those suffering. I am also aware that allopathy has procedures, ie. the removal of a cancerous tumor from an organ, that lead me to see how that system also can serve to "balance energy".

Conclusions from Kirlian Photography

It looks like Kirlian photography is an interesting and, perhaps, beneficial modality. I like modalities whose instruments can be easily replicated, which Kirlian can, given that at it's most basic it requires only a Tesla coil connected to a metal plate and a camera.

I think that the modality has value, and is intriguing in the benefit that it has brought to people's lives. I read a review of Kirlian photography that sounds affirmative and accurate: It may capture an image of your energy field, but that image is very present moment. Since our energy is subject to change, which I image it might over short periods of time, the Kirlian image may be reflective only of a tiny snippet in time.

I would definitely get my aura pictured! I would be happy to see what my energy field looks like...at the moment, I bet there's a few dim or interesting gaps in it!

Human Intent as it Affects Health

I believe that human intent is a fundamental basis for any action we take, be it by setting a conscious intention prior to acting, or simply to noticing (if we can) the intent behind a given action. I believe that by harnessing the power of intention, we will be making use of a powerful psycho-energetic force that can prove beneficial to our patients and healing outcomes. 

I know that in Buddhist practice, intent is second only to taking refuge in the traditional three jewels of the Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha. The reason that clarifying one's intent is so important is that any action we take can actually be beneficial to ourselves and others, provided that we are acting from a beneficial intention. I believe that this can have profound application and indications for our daily lives and healing practices. 

Comments

  1. I also would love to get my aura picture taken. It usually costs $20 and I seem to use that extra cash for food instead. Hmm...

    Speaking of intention, I do admit that I have not paid much attention to it recently. It would be good to have a regular morning practice to cultivate proper intention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suri! Thanks for the comment. I appreciate it.

      Yes to intention! I have tried to revisit my intention infrequently for my "why" behind attending school everyday, eating, consuming the gas and resources I am using for this long L.Ac. endeavor.....and when I do, it helps me see the compassionate motivation I have tried to cultivate as a basis.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On Interdependence: Physics Midterm